Friday, March 21, 2014

Fate - the development of events beyond a person's control, regarded as determined by a supernatural power. That’s this week’s LBC topic.



That’s one school of thought. What will be will be.  It’s all worked out for us.

I don’t attend that particular school.  There is much randomness and personal choice involved.  While certainly some things can de fated – should you be in the 50% of eligible people with a parent with HD and you get that gene your fate is sealed.  But it was random;ly passed – each child of ah HD afflicted parent has a 50% chance of getting the gene. There are other genetic conditions passed down as  well. But not with 100% probability and hence not fate.

There are those religious among us that believe our fate is determined by whether or not we follow the dictates of their god. They say your choices determine your fate.  They got the latter correct.

Fate as defined above does not exist as far as I am concerned.  I deny the supernatural involvement.  Fate hinges on the choices we make and every road down which we travel offers a selection of outcomes.  Those outcomes are determined by the choices we make along the way. You choose what gets The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate award by your action and/or inaction.

Consider this – if you stepped into Mr Peabody’s WayBack Machine and had your life to live over would it be exactly the same? If you had no more information than original you would the outcomes be the same? What about those random choices – say a coin-toss decision. Would a different toss outcome lead you down a different path with different life outcomes? I think maybe so.

If things were predetermined would there be  any magic in our lives?  Could we feel this?



Life is an adventure. It isn’t scripted. You have the ability to determine your own fate as it were.  As Buddha said, I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.



That’s my quick take on fate.  Check out what the other LBC posters have to sa

10 comments:

  1. Yes, and no, Chuck. I largely agree with what you are saying. And yet, sometimes I do believe there to be 'fate'. A few years ago I went through a hell of a spiral down the plughole. Not my doing. And that is an important point: Not MY doing. Accompanied by a series of accidental misfortunes which befell me. My mother, a no nonsense person, said she couldn't believe my "bad" luck.

    And that's it, Chuck: In the same category as 'fate' there is 'luck'. That most elusive of fairies.

    There is no easy way to solve the conundrum of either 'fate' or 'luck'. Ramana's logo:: "Wisdom with hindsight". So, yes, in line with your reasoning and hindsight, I would have taken one or two different side paths along the way. However, and there is no answer to it - because we can't know: Would my 'fate' have been different? Would Lady Luck have looked upon me more favourably?

    I hasten to add, before giving the wrong impression, that there were a lot of good fairies at my cradle, bestowing their best.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I travel the same path Chuck, the fate of choices.
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your commentary on the topic of 'fate'. As to your Wayback Machine and the 'live your life over' premise, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the second time around, given your parameters, would be a carbon copy of the first. To me, the question is how could it not be? If I am the same person, living the life, meeting and falling in love with the same women... how could it not be.

    I would add however that "IF" the slightest thing change such as where you were born (geographically speaking) then I think that your life would then be completely different than the first time around!

    I also really enjoyed your song selections but particularly the inclusion of Doris Day whom I have been seriously in love with since I was a teenager. As 'fate' would have it, this morning I watched a YouTube video of her when she appeared on the old television show "What's My Line?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had however a later thought about the matter of 'fate'...

      If I had been part of the invasion of Normandy in WW2 and lived through the storming of the beach head, would I necessarily be afforded the same outcome second time around since the choice to die is not a choice I am making but rather someone else's choice?

      Delete
    2. Survival or not would ne a random event - my point is that if at any time we make a random chpice, say choose by coin toss, if the outcome of the toss were different if the act repeated would your life have been the same? Who knows. I'm simply saying your life is not predetermined - it happens as ypu live it.

      Delete
  4. Life happens, it is a reality to be experienced - the good the bad and the ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fate is the only explanation for the unexplainable. When 50% escape and 50% die, why did that particular 50% die?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck or the choices they made. Random events are real. Randomness affects lives.

      Delete
  6. I don’t think I believe in “fate” per se. I believe in luck, in that you make your own luck, or on the other hand bring your own unhappiness. Life is made of good and happy events and it’s up to a person to make the best of it and not blame fate. Although I also believe in karma, but as being compassionate and loving or your will get back the bad deeds you created – don’t know if you can understand me – these concepts are easier for me to write in French – English being the 3rd language I learnt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean and I pretty much agree with you. Random events - aka luc k - mztter nd how we deal with life determines the outcome.

      Delete