Saturday, September 8, 2012

What “lesson from mom” do you still live by today?

My apologies for being a day late on this weeks LBC topic - What “lesson from mom” do you still live by today?- but other than a brief 90 minute lunch visit with an old friend it has been a lousy week. The details are irrelevant.

This isn't an easy topic for me because I was raised by my grandmother until I was 10 and we moved to California, and by then there was a new stepfather and sister. My mom worked - she was divorced and my grandmother widowed when I was 3. Incidentally I've never referred to Jack McConvey as my stepfather unless pushed on the issue as he is simply my dad.

Now as regards my mother - well - there's not really much she imparted to me that I can recall beyond the 20 or so years of lies she told me about my birth father, and that's another story altogether. I suppose she tried to make that up by caring for my son for a couple of years so perhaps he is better qualified to answer the question.  I like to cook but that's a defense mechaniasm as both my mom and wife were never great in the kitchen.

She did always work hard and was well thought of wherever she worked so I'll take that as her best advice or lesson as it's something I've always tried to do.  I like to give a bit more than an honest days work every day. I have never felt guilty about my paycheck.

I hope you've checked the other LBC members for their takes on this week's topic.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had a bad week. I can only wish that the new one is a big improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thoughts from me.
      I got the same lesson - but from my Dad.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to your experience Shackman. And also understand it. The way I look at it is that you did have a Mom in your Grandmom and frankly, I wish that I had had my Grandmom give me some advise. All that she did, the only one I knew as the other had passed away long before my mother got married, was just tell stories to me and my siblings. The morals of those stories came to all of us much later in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's obviously no need to feel guilty about your paycheck. Your mother seems to have done an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete